Training and outreach programs
Brindavan Education Trust (BET) has been offering training programs and workshops over the last 20 years in the field of Inclusive education practices. BET started its resource room programs in the year 1993 and has set up and trained teachers in 23 schools over the years.
The current National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 emphasizes the necessity for early childhood practices and inclusion along with a focus on learning for literacy and flexibility as well as inclusion for special needs through the new 5+3+3+3 plan. Although not much is said about disability in the plan itself, it provides a strong link to the PwD Act at all levels in terms of education and the accommodations that need to be made. It recommends developing differentiated material, identification and support from individual boards ,through the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT)by way of resources and the National Institute for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (NIEPD), through teacher training and continuous skilling for both teachers and children. It emphasizes inclusion and that this should be the primary focus . Resources should be made available for implementing it all levels, from ages 3 to 18, both at access to curriculum for all and through teacher training
- Brindavan’s flagship training program on training teachers to work with specific learning difficulties was conceptualised and initiated in 2009 . The training program on early intervention and inclusion was started in 2016. Both programs are run annually starting in the months of May and June .
- Brindavan also offers consultancies to mainstream schools to set up resource rooms/ learning labs,and conducts teacher training programs with customized workshops for inclusive practices.
ONLINE TRAINING PROGRAMS
- Certificate in Understanding the Child with Specific Learning Difficulties-SLD
This is a 6-month online certificate program. This course provides an understanding of each skill area, relevant remedial teaching strategies, informal assessments and awareness of inclusion in mainstream schools. The course is a mix of theory and practical work delivered online.
- An overview of learning difficulties (LD).
- Identification of learning difficulties in the context of Oral language, Reading & Comprehension, Spelling, Writing, Math, and Executive Functioning skills.
- Identification and management of children with LD, SLD, ADD/ADHD (attention deficit and hyperactivity behaviours).
- Establishing present skill levels and formulating an Individualised Education Plan (IEP).
- Learning how to counsel parents/caregivers/teachers (from the perspective of the child with LD).
- Informal assessments.
- Inclusive teaching practices and lesson planning for inclusive classrooms.
- Detailed teaching notes are provided for each skill area.
- Experienced faculty in their respective fields of study bring valuable theoretical knowledge and practical examples to the classroom.
- Theory classes:6 month Online certification programme via Zoom platform
- One session of 3.5 to 4 hours every Saturday (1.30 pm-5/5.30pm).
Advanced 6 month Internship Certification programme.
This Internship is offered to the trainees who have completed 6-month online certification program in SLD .
- Certificate in Inclusive Practices in Preschool Education-Classroom intervention- (PIE)
The Six month online certificate course . This course trains teachers to develop and implement peadagogies in inclusive practices to meet the diverse needs of children in a pre-school/primary school classroom. It includes a mix of theory and practical work delivered online.
During the course, participants will be exposed to the theory, methods, and strategies for early identification, informal assessment and planning classroom interventions for children with delays and difficulties.
- Early childhood development and delays.
- Scope and sequence of development in language and numeracy.
- Development of readiness skills and early identification of difficulties in the areas of oral language, reading, and writing.
- Inclusive teaching practices and lesson planning for an inclusive pre-school/primary classroom.
- Informal assessments of readiness skill development for pre-school/primary children.
- Teaching notes will be provided.
- Theory classes: 6 month online certificate programme via Zoom Platform
- One session of 3.5 to 4 hours every Saturday (1.30 pm-5/5.30 pm).
Parent Training Course
Brindavan started the Parent Training Course in the year 2010. The Parent Training Course offered by Brindavan Education Trust is tailored to empower parents to help their children with special education needs at home. The primary objectives of the Parent Training Course are:
- To assure parents that there is help available.
- To understand the difficulties of the child.
- To help parents create a positive and supportive environment at home.
- To enable parents to guide the child’s future development in the appropriate direction.
Duration: 3 month (10 weeks) online certification programme one session of 2 .30 to 3 hours every Monday (2pm to 4.30pm).